Dr. Guyue Zhou is currently an associate professor at Institute for AI Industry Research (AIR), Tsinghua University, leading AIR DISCOVER Lab. He also now serves as an academic consultant for RoboMaster University Championship and an associate editor for IET Smart Cities. Dr. Zhou earned his Ph.D. at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) in 2014 under the supervision of Prof. Zexiang Li, who is famous as a world-class robotic scientist and a hardcore technology entrepreneurial mentor. Dr. Zhou was a former core member of Dajiang Innovation (DJI) and served as a principle scientist and a principle product manager with expertise in computer vision and robotics. He joined DJI in early 2012, founded and led R&D and product teams of computer vision, intelligent manufacturing, entry-level consumer drone, and STEAM education.
Technology-wise, Dr. Zhou and his team delivered MAV’s visual navigation system and made significant technical contributions to system architectures and computing algorithms to the miniaturization of the onboard intelligent system. He was granted over 80 patents (including 30 US patents) and received the exclusive Grand Prize of Guangdong Science and Technology Progress Award in 2019. Relevant technologies are used in all series of DJI’s drone products, which are sold to more than 100 countries all over the world and are used in many fields such as power inspection, fire rescue, public safety and media.
Product-wise, Dr. Zhou was in charge of designing, developing, manufacturing and marketing several intelligent robotic products, with a cumulative sales volume of 5 million units. Among them, the palm-size drone product “Spark” amazed the whole world with its innovative human-computer interaction design and was ranked at the 4th place in Time magazine’s "10 Best Gadgets of 2017", surpassing Amazon Echo and Apple Watch. Meanwhile, "Spark" was also the only Chinese selectee in Time magazine’s "25 Best Invention of 2017".
Manufacture-wise, Dr. Zhou led his team to complete upgrading DJI factory’s quality control system with digital and intelligent technology. His team developed smart manufacturing devices which can provide flexibility for specific process, sensor calibration devices which can adapt to multiple products, flexible automated optical inspection (AOI) devices, and built a cooperative multi-agent system for parameter self-tuning during fully autonomous flight. All these efforts formed a novel manufacturing implementation with collaborative perception and collaborative decision-making among intelligent products and intelligent devices.
In early 2020, Dr. Guyue Zhou was named in Shenzhen 's leading talent program. He joined AIR, Tsinghua University as a founding faculty at Nov 2020 and founded AIR DISCOVER Lab, exploring research areas of advanced manufacturing, intelligent robot, computer vision and human machine interaction. In 2021, Dr. Zhou was selected as MIT TR35 Asia-Pacific.
2010-2014 Ph.D. , Dept. Electronic and Computer Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
2006-2010 B.E. , Dept. of Control Science and Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology
since 2020 Associate Professor, Institute for AI Industry Research, Tsinghua University
2012-2020 Executive Team, Scientist, Dajiang Innovations (DJI)
Advanced Manufacturing, Robotics, Computer Vision, and Human-Computer Interaction
Introduction to Intelligent System: Design and Practice, Fall Semester
Intelligent Transportation System (Infrastructure-aided Autonomous Driving Part), Spring Semester
Intelligent Construction with Building Blocks: Principle and Practice (Computer Vision Part), Spring Semester
1. Li P, Tian B, Shi Y, Chen X, Zhao H, Zhou G*, Zhang YQ. "TOIST: Task Oriented Instance Segmentation Transformer with Noun-Pronoun Distillation", Conference and Workshop on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS), 2022.
2. Gao J, Gong J, Zhou G*, Guo H, Qi T. "A Tangible Twin Robot System to Promote STEM Education", IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) 2022.
3. Li Y, Tu Y, Chen X, Zhao H, Zhou G*. "Distance-aware Occlusion Detection with Focused Attention", IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (TIP), 2022, 31: 5661-5676.
4. Zhou G*, Luo L, Xu H*, Zhang X, Guo H, Zhao H. "Brick Yourself within 3 Minutes", IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2022: 6261-6267.
5. Chen X, Zhao H, Zhou G*, Zhang YQ. "PQ-Transformer: Jointly Parsing 3D Objects and Layouts from Point Clouds". IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L), 2022, 7(2): 2519-2526.
6. Chen X, Liu T, Zhao H, Zhou G*, Zhang YQ. "Cerberus Transformer: Joint Semantic, Affordance and Attribute Parsing", IEEE/CVF Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2022: 19649-19658.
7. Xu L, Liu Y, Cheng W, Guo K, Zhou G, Dai Q, Fang L*. "FlyCap: Markerless Motion Capture Using Multiple Autonomous Flying Cameras.", IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG), 2018, 24(8): 2284-2297.
8. Zhou G*, Fang L, Tang K, Zhang H, Wang K, Yang K. "Guidance: A Visual Sensing Platform for Robotic Applications", IEEE/CVF Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshops 2015: 9-14.
9. Zhou G, Liu A, Yang K, Wang T, Li Z*. "An Embedded Solution to Visual Mapping for Consumer Drones", IEEE/CVF Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshops 2014: 670-675. (Best Poster Award)
10. Zhou G, Ye J, Ren W, Wang T, Li Z*. "On-board Inertial-assisted Visual Odometer on an Embedded System", IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2014: 2602-2608.